Pictured: The grand opening ceremony for the new Dighton Animal Shelter on Saturday, February 8, 2020!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responds to all domestic and wild animal complaints; enforces Article 29 of the Town’s General Bylaws.
- Picks up injured animals and obtains medical treatment as necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining the condition of the Dighton Animal Shelter and animal control officer vehicle; cares for animals in custody, including ensuring that the animals in the shelter receive daily exercise and enrichment; medical and behavioral evaluations; veterinarian care, behavioral training, home fostering, and other appropriate interventions; and the daily administration of prescribed medications and procedures. The Animal Control Officer, in accordance with M.G.L c. 140 sec. 151 and at the recommendation of a licensed veterinarian, may surrender an animal for humane euthanasia.
- Investigates and makes appropriate referrals regarding cases of animal cruelty or neglect and other violations of animal control regulations and laws, and issues warnings or citations as required enforcement of animal control regulations and laws. Assesses fines and imposes penalties according to animal control laws and regulations.
- Inspects new kennels, re-inspects kennels, and conducts special kennel inspections as required.
- Attempts to locate owners and return animals.
- Works regularly and cooperatively with the Board of Health, Board of Selectmen, Town Clerk, and Dighton Police Department.
- Works in collaboration with the Town Clerk to enforce dog licensing requirements.
- Responds to calls for assistance from owners of lost animals.